Quick-Find a Race Recap:

Race Recap Directory

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

More Gear For Your Nerves

There is a lot of gear out there for runners and walkers. Most of it is wholly unnecessary. Here are a few things I like, and a few things I dislike. Keep in mind, this is my personal taste, based on what I have discovered in 10 years of running/walking. Your mileage may vary!

Fuel Belts

This is an extremely useful piece of equipment. It is, essentially, a fanny pack, only it ain't your momma's fanny pack. A proper fuel belt is lightweight, worn across the lower back, and contains only the essentials you might need during a long workout or race. You may want to carry Tums or Pepto chewables (see my last post about beating the heat), or a small blister kit, or your cell phone/some cash.I have a thin mesh pack from Amphipod that I love. I prefer fuel belts that do not hold water bottles. Water bottles are just unpleasant to wear on the back. They slosh and weigh just a bit too much to be comfortable. Wear a fuel belt - carry your water in your hand(s).

Armbands

These are used to carry phones/iPods when you work out. I don't listen to music, so I don't do this, but you might want to.

Waterproofing

A good waterproof jacket is a decent investment if you are somehow opposed to getting soaked (not everyone is, but it often depends on "how soaked" we're talking about). It is important to pick a jacket that has vents, otherwise it will not be able to breathe. I got a Nike waterproof jacket at an outlet mall for $20 (originally $140), but I hardly ever wear it. Only during long races when I need it to protect my fuel belt from a deluge. Most of the time, a brimmed hat will do just fine for rain protection.

FitBit or GPS Watches

I don't have a GPS watch. I also don't use GPS in my car. In both cases, I'd rather map out and memorize a route and not worry too much about the exact pace at all times. These things are useful, though, and my husband wears a GPS watch constantly. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend any in particular, because my husband has also been disappointed with every GPS watch he has ever had. Overall, I consider these gadgets unnecessary at best and, if they are inaccurate, discouraging at worst. The one time I wore a GPS watch, it claimed I was going about 3 minutes slower per mile than I actually was.

Technical Fabric Attire

This is necessary. Especially on bottom. I have old Nike tights that I love, but they have in the last few years changed the fabric to be TERRIBLE. Seriously, Nike, your fabric SUCKS ASS now. But I digress. For a less expensive (and less TERRIBLE OMG NIKE) option, I enjoy Fila or TekGear from Kohl's. I have also had good luck at UnderArmour outlets - they have a great thin fabric that is ideal for exceptionally hot weather (80+ degrees).

Anti-Friction Agents

BodyGlide is the most popular of these - it looks like deodorant and prevents chafing when applied. Unfortunately, I still get chafed in my underarms, and haven't yet found an elegant solution. I should try Vaseline, which is also a great anti-friction agent. If you rub anywhere, you should be using something. I also use Sanabalm powder on my feet, which I mentioned in my post about blisters.

 Jogging Stroller

Essential for the parent/guardian who needs to push a wee one around. We did some research and went with the Thule Urban Glide 1, which we got on sale for $340 (originally $400). We also got the optional rain cover and bug cover accessories. The rain cover doubles as an insulator to go out on colder days. I love this stroller because it is extremely comfortable and handles great, plus the handlebars are adjustable (critical for tall folks, and probably short folks as well).

Watch

This is as important as shoes for a serious runner or walker. Just a basic watch is really all you need. I use a Timex Ironman with 30-lap memory that I got at Walmart for about $35. Remember that if you plan to do marathons, you will probably need 30 laps. Many watches only have 10 laps, but if you want to keep track of mile splits, think of how many miles you'll be going with your watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment